Zebulon Montgomery Pike Jr. (5 de janeiro de 1778 – 27 de abril de 1813) é um soldado e explorador norte-americano. O nome do pico, Pikes Peak localizado em Fountain no estado do Colorado é uma homenagem ao explorador. A Expedição Pike (Pike expedition) por ele liderada mapeou grande parte da região central da América do Norte conhecida como Louisiana Purchase 1 2 .
Notas e Referências
- Valkenburg, Samuel Van (1976). "Pike, Zebulon Montgomery". Collier's Encyclopedia 19. Ed. William D. Halsey. New York: Macmillan Educational Corporation.
- Baldwin, Tom. "Where did Pike peak? Colo. explorer got start in New Jersey", Courier-Post, August 25, 2008. Accessed September 19, 2008. "Nineteenth century Jersey explorer Zebulon Pike was born in Lamberton, now a part of south Trenton, but gave his name to Colorado's 14,000-foot Pikes Peak."
Ligações externas [editar]
- Works by Zebulon Pike em Internet Archive.
- National Park Service biography
- Battle of Tippecanoe
- "Butler County connections to the Mexican War" Hamilton Journal-News Hamilton, Ohio
- Pike's Explorations - related to Pike's journey to find the source of the Mississippi River and the building of his fort in what is now Morrison County, Minnesota
- Pike's Menagerie - the animals Pike and his men encountered in central Minnesota
- Was Pike a Failure? - an examination of the often-heard critique of Pike's Mississippi River expedition
- Zebulon Pike and the Blue Mountain - award winning film produced with the help of Pike Historian W. Eugene Hollon, the U.S. Army, the Smithsonian and the National Archives about the explorer's time in what is now Colorado
- Pike Surname DNA Project